Monday, August 20, 2012

Long day

Finished packing my furniture and effects into the conservatory, so that the painters can  have access to the rest of the rooms. It's an exercise a bit like seeing how many people will fit into a telephone box. I don't have many pieces of big heavy furniture, I've always tried to get small furniture that will be appropriate for a modest cottage, so it's not been too difficult. The painters can shift the heavy stuff as they please, or work around it. Now I'm living in my bedroom while they do the rest of the house, then I'll shift into the spare room while they do my bedroom. Hopefully all will go OK. They've practically finished the outside, but it is a once over lightly just to cover the hairline cracks in the stucco. They aren't doing a full repaint with the woodwork and trim, which is a bit annoying, because it makes these look crappier by contrast. Still, I'm quite glad - it means they will be out of here sooner, and I can finish stuff off at my leisure. Tomorrow they start inside in the spare room, bringing the cracked ceiling down. I will be at work, hoping that all goes well.
  The cats are getting a bit freaked out, they know something is up. I was going to send Thom to stay at the vets to keep him out of the way, but I've decided I need him here more to prop up my morale. Emma spent the day under the bed, she knows just to wait things out and they'll go away in due course.
  Spring is here. The fruit blossom is starting to come out, and I have a delicate bunch of daffodils on the bureau in my bedroom, lovely things. The good part about this painting business is that I can get my spring cleaning done at the same time. Everything will be clean, for the first time in years!

No comments:

Post a Comment