Saturday, January 26, 2013

Where to go?

Hopefully I've got some holiday coming up at the end of February (if the boss approves it). But where to go? So far it's a toss up between the West Coast, perhaps Gentle Annie at Mokihinui, with a side trip to Denniston for a Forest and Bird field trip and a few days at Nelson Lakes on the way back, or south and inland to Lake Tekapo and Mt Cook. The only problem with Mt Cook is it's real tourist country - too many tourists and scores of buses are not my idea of a relaxing holiday, so if I do go I'll stay somewhere else, probably Tekapo, and make Mt Cook just a day trip. Or I could go further south and go up the Pig Route into Central Otago and back home up through the Mackenzie Country. Or even go to Melbourne, to see a real city with art and cultcha.
  Looking last night at trips to Mount Kailas in Tibet, in which I've been interested ever since I read Colin Thubron's book To a mountain in Tibet. I watched a clip on youTube of the 10 most dangerous airports and one of them was Paro in Tibet, the nearest airport to Mt Kailas. To be honest it didn't look that dangerous; I think Wellington is worse. Certainly not as bad as Hong Kong, where you can wave to the people in the apartment buildings as you fly past. Tibet would certainly be an adventure. But....oh, my chickenshit little heart. There's two me's - adventurous, curious me, who wants to go everywhere and see everything, and timid me, who says "Yes, but....think of what could happen". So I'll have to wait until adventurous me gets fed up with timid me and says "Screw you! You're boring. I'm off!"

No comments:

Post a Comment