Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Autumn melancholy

Slowly passing into autumn. A few trees "have started to turn" as my Mum used to say, and today was quite cool. I've started to think of casseroles and baths instead of salads and showers, and I have to get some nice woolies for the winter, thick, cuddly things that I can snuggle into on cold mornings.
The revamped garden has been got underway, with a good dig over, and additions of compost and fertiliser. I'll let it lie for a few days and start planting at the weekend.
  Went for a walk around the neighbourhood this evening. A bit sad, some of the houses have been demolished, including two lovely old brick villas that I used to admire, and many people are letting their gardens go. I suppose if the house is to be demolished there's little point in keeping the garden up. Plus the drought we've been having makes everything look very down-at-heel and past its best. Once again, one wonders if one is doing the right thing staying here; will this whole area become derelict and trashy, filled with crims and drug-addicts? I don't know. I could sell up and buy in a new subdivision but it's just not me. I couldn't stand waiting another twenty years to have trees that are taller than me, and some subdivisions don't allow tall trees anyway. Some subdivisions don't even allow you to wash your car on the driveway, or plant anything that's not on an approved list in the garden. No, not me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment