Sunday, March 10, 2013

New planting schemes

 
Decision made this week to revamp my front garden beds. The main one has become really dry and boring. I've poked bits and pieces into it over the last ten years, but the soil is really poor now and needs to be massively rejuvenated. The only things thriving are the grey-leaved drought-tolerant poor-soil things. The Stachys lanata is looking great but the rest are... well, you can see what they are.
So I bought some new plants today-

 
Carex comans for some bronze grassiness, yellow variegated foliage (Felicia amelloides, variegated sage, Phormium 'Cream delight'), Hebes pinguifolia and 'First light', and golden marjoram which really looks good in late spring. I want to interplant these with bronzy chrysanthemums, dahlias, rudbeckia and coreopsis for autumn and underplant with orange tulips and white jonquils for spring.
 
 
Here's a nice little species penstemon, Penstemon barbatus, who will join the crowd somewhere.
 
Problem is, I want to get started NOW, but it's 9.00 at night and nearly dark.  
 

2 comments:

  1. When I stepped into the showroom, I felt like I was in Provence. The scent of lavender and the sound of running water from the antique limestone fountain along with the incredible selection of French garden antiques were really impressive. If you are looking for very large garden ornaments, French planters, etc. this is the showroom to visit. A total of 15,000 square feet of the most incredible French garden antiques, French limestone fountains, fireplace mantels and the most selective collection of planters from France with immediate availability. Each piece feels real, the atmosphere is so calming and rural. A true and unique gem to be found in West Palm Beach! Their website is www.authenticprovence.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big problem, Gino. I'm about 13,000k from West Palm Beach, and my look is more Italian peasant than 18thc Provence.

      Delete