Friday, March 8, 2013

Trajan's column

 
This is a photo of a photo that I took in Rome way back in 2002, on my first trip to Italy. I didn't have a digital camera then, so now I'm digitising my collection, which highly technical process involves photographing the photographs. The church on the left is one of two that overlook the column, right next door to each other. You wonder how either of them do any business - do they compete for parishoners, or do the faithful go to one each week turn and turn about? Or do the priests have nasty fights, facing each other off in the piazza outside?
 
 
And this is a wonderful Baroque church in Noto, Sicily. Noto was substantially destroyed in the 17th century by an earthquake, and rebuilt in the latest architectural fashion, High Baroque. Perhaps 300 years from now people will marvel at Christchurch architecture from the post-quake period?
 
 
Another Noto church, an innie instead of an outie. Baroque is probably my favourite architectural style; it's like Classical with borderline personality disorder!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment