Sunday, May 12, 2013

Crazy day and crumble

Crazy day at work today. All those difficult questions seemed to come to me during my hour 'floating' as they call it ( also meet and greet). How do I scan to my USB, why isn't my card working, can I pay with a credit card, why isn't my card working, where is this book, the computer says it's here, why isn't my card working? We also had a musical performance. Every year during New Zealand Music Month (May) we have a one-hour performance on Saturday or Sunday in  the library, of some local music group. Today it was a very nice harp ensemble, but of course someone complained. I suppose this may seem inconsistent with my condemnation of music in the supermarket, but this is for one hour, once a week, for one month of the year, and the musicians are carefully selected, so that the music will not be of an intrusive type. But someone complained. I don't know what they expect us to do - cancel the performance, and turn away eighty people because one person doesn't like to have music in the library for one hour, once a week, for one month of the year?      
    There seems to be an exponential increase of people who think that they are the only ones that matter. This is particularly noticeable when driving; the number of arrogant drivers who want everyone to give way to them, because they are more important than you and their journey is more important than yours. The number of pedestrians who just walk blithely out into the road, convinced that some magic talisman about them will make sure that you don't hit them. They feel no  responsibility for their own welfare; no, you have to stop for them. It's your business to make sure they are safe. The whole overriding philosophy these days is "How can I make my problem someone else's?" Therefore: If someone steals my newspaper or my recycling bin, I'll go and steal someone else's. I could ring the paper or the council, but no, this is too hard. I'll just pass my problem on to others. The selfish arrogance is mind-boggling, but I guess that these days this passes for intelligent problem-solving
  Anyway, rant over. I've made a lovely apple crumble with my own apples which I am now going to enjoy. Life does still have some compensations. Ooroo.

1 comment:

  1. Yummo. Apple crumble is true comfort food and I haven't had it in years. Thank you for the reminder.

    I think part of the problem is that people refuse to accept responsibility. It is someone else's fault and someone else should fix it. Hiss and spit. Someone else may have taken the first step, so now what are you going to do to fix it. And no, I don't mean steal someone else's paper.

    ReplyDelete