Monday, May 20, 2013

Memories of Venice



 
The doorway of the Istituto San Guiseppe di Caburlotto, Venice
 
 
 
My room, up in the roof
 
 
 
The view
 
Thinking about my trip to Venice in 2011. It's funny, although I loved Florence and Rome, it's Venice that seems to be uppermost in my memories when I think of Italy. I stayed in a convent called the Istituto di San Guiseppe del Caburlotto, in a little room up in the roof. It was very conventual, just a bed, a chair, a wardrobe and a desk, but I did have an en suite bathroom. I liked the spartanness of  it, so few things to look after, and this view was oddly peaceful. There was a young man across the courtyard practicing Mozart on a piano, and the back courtyard of a restaurant, where food was delivered every day by a hand trolley and the workers came out to have a smoke. On my first night, at midnight, I was woken by the tolling of  the great bell of the Campanile in Piazza San Marco. Why it tolled I don't know, some religious festival perhaps, but the sound kept on ringing for a long time after it had stopped. I can still hear it in my mind.

The bell was the Marangona, and you can hear it here http://www.casesf.com/VeniceBells.htm
I'm sure it tolled slower that in this recording though; it was more sepulchral.

1 comment: