Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Boxing Day bits and pieces


Been doing a bit of painting; this is Castle Rock, which I can see from my spare room window. Its Maori name is Te tihi o Kahurangi, the abode of the sky-god, which is much more poetic. The rain was clearing away from the south. Kahurangi is very dramatic, a good weather indicator. I look at him every morning and evening and several times during the day. 


I've also been baking. This is my very own recipe, Apricot, almond and sour cream ricotta cake. I had to make use of some cream that was turning, some leftover bottled apricots and almond meal that had been sitting around for a while (but not rancid), plus fresh ricotta that I bought from the market on Sunday. It's gluten-free and delicious. Next time I'll put baking paper in the bottom of the tin, though, as it stuck even to the non-stick, buttered pan.


And a lovely poppy photographed in first light. I hope to harvest the seed from these for baking. There's a great Jewish recipe called Hamantaschen (Haman's pockets) made to celebrate Purim that uses a poppy-seed filling for pastry pockets. My German teacher made them for us many years ago in high-school, and though I remember hardly any German, I do remember these - very delicious.


2 comments:

  1. I love your painting of Te tihi o Kahurangi, and would look at it multiple times each day too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely trio of bits and pieces there. The painting looks fab.

    ReplyDelete