Saturday, December 14, 2013

Change adaptive? Nah.

Oh dear. A bit depressed tonight. I don't usually talk about my work life, but... Both of my jobs are changing so fast they are becoming jobs that I no longer want to do. One is becoming increasingly technological, the other increasingly customer-driven and money-centred. Neither of these things have much interest for me. It seems as if a certain kind of person with a certain kind of mindset is taking over the world. And I had the very annoying experience this week of being treated like a total idiot by a new, much younger colleague, who thinks that just because she is much younger she is naturally much smarter. Oh, she's just so bloody professional! Terribly efficient and trying to impress, which she thinks she will achieve by dissing the sad middle-aged wreck that she sees is me. Of course, manners and general courtesy are such a waste of time, aren't they? Time that could be better spent getting ahead in one's career.  So tonight, I feel really old. I've seen the writing on the wall; soon the world will have no place for me or others of my kind. I am going the way of the dinosaurs, the sooner I shuffle off the better for the Bright Young Things who are taking over.
  But one day they too will be old and fat and past it. This is my consolation. Whenever some pouty young Miss pouts at me I think "Your day will come, too, sweetie". As I am now so will you be, prepare for old age and irrelevance, and follow me.

2 comments:

  1. Patronising little so and so's aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least us dinosaurs have a better chance of having a pension - the young whippersnappers will have to make their own plans...

    ReplyDelete