Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Feeling more Christmassy


Feeling a little more Christmassy tonight. I've got King's College Chior on, singing away, and the candles are lit, and the house is full of the scent of Christmas lillies. (One of the great things about having Christmas in summer is the flowering of the Lillium regale, which we call Christmas lillies, sort of a little reminder of the Annunciation, which started everything off.)  We had our final team meeting at work yesterday, which doubled as our Christmas party, now that our employers are taking the road of austerity (or so they say). We had lots of lovely food, a quiz and a Secret Santa, so it was one of the best team meetings ever.
  And today I had a visit from a dear old friend. (Old as in have known her for a long time. And she's 91). She's just a little younger than my Mum, but now "has a hip" and walks with a stick, so I was able to pass on Mum's stick that I had kept, a proper ergonomic one, and Mum's record player, since hers doesn't work now. She bought me some preserved ginger in a lovely blue and white jar, some Ferrero Rocher and a bottle of wine. We had a lovely talk. She's such a cheerful person, always looking on the bright side, a joy to be around. She hopes to live to 100 to see her grandchildren graduate from Uni. I think she'll make it.

2 comments: