Saturday, December 28, 2013

Rain, rain


Boring day today. This is the fourth day of rain; it started on Christmas Day in the afternoon and has been going ever since. This seems to happen every year. Just as the apricots get ripe, (also just as everyone heads off on their camping holidays) we get this misty or pouring rain which sends brown rot onto the fruit. One year I remember picking them in the rain while not quite ripe, so that at least I could have the cooked fruit and not all the crop would be ruined. It looks like that may happen this year too. I also have a lot of blackcurrants that need picking, but they seem less prone to fungal diseases - maybe tomorrow will be better.
  The photo is of a past harvest of apricots, about four years ago. Sadly, both of the beautiful puss-cats (Eddie, left and Emma, right) are now deceased.
  Watched the BBC teaser for the new 'Sherlock' series - how I miss those guys! Weird to think that they are now also Bilbo and Smaug. Hope to go to The Hobbit soon, with a group of similarly-minded nerds from work. That's what I love about my fellow librarians; they really are my soul-tribe. We can talk about daleks and dragons, sing old advertising slogans (Bernina, Bernina!) and discuss Stoic philosophy, and we all know what we're talking about.

1 comment:

  1. How I would love some of your rain. The ground is crispifying here - and the hills have turned golden. It won't be long before they turn to dust if we don't get the rain.
    Having someone to talk daleks and dragons would be a joy.

    ReplyDelete