Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Urban foraging

Sometimes you plan a day, but it all turns out differently, but not always in a bad way. I planned to go and get some petrol, pay some bills and buy a compost bin today, but took a little walk first to my neighbourhood park to see if there were any fallen chestnuts, as the morning was windy. I found a few, then found another few after deciding to give up, then found some more.
  On my way to check out the quince tree, I met a woman who was also checking it out. All the low ones had been harvested, but she lived nearby, so she went and got a ladder and we harvested a lot more of the high ones, gorgeous big quinces and lots of them.  The best part about foraging is the feeling that some horrible man will burst out of nowhere and yell 'Oi, wotchoo doin' to my tree!" This didn't happen on this occasion, but I still felt deliciously guilty. So this was a pleasant way to start the day. I enjoyed myself so much I put the chores on the back burner, and did a wider forage expedition. Scored some walnuts and a few japonica apples.
  I've now got a lot of trees and bushes in the local area on a sort of mental foraging map, but sometimes
people cut down trees which pisses me off. A really good crab-apple that I used to visit was cut down last year, why I don't know, it wasn't harming anyone. Felt like storming into the owner's house, yelling "wot didja do to my tree!"
    Getting my heat-pump put in tomorrow, hopefully. Hope I will be warmer this winter than in the past, and that it won't be too 'blowy' and be like living in a wind tunnel.
   (Did look at compost bins. $55.00 for a plastic box? You're kidding me! No, thankyou. I'll just continue to pile up the stuff in a corner of the garden, it works but not as fast).
   Hope you liked the flower photos, all in my garden.  Did I say that autumn is my favourite season?
Yes, I think I said it several times. Ooorooo.

No comments:

Post a Comment