Thursday, June 20, 2013

Snow

 
 


Well, at last it's snowing. The weather mavens have been predicting it for days, people have been rushing out buying up stocks of food (not me, I'm always prepared - raised by a Mum who was a girl guide). Work is cancelled today, as my Friday job is casual I can decide not to go. Last year I went in to work on a snow day, and it was scary. I have no real experience of snow driving, so it was just good luck that nothing happened. Thomas is fascinated by the snow, the way it comes down and disappears is magical. Emma is more pragmatic; it's just something to be dashed through on the way to the toilet plot, and got out of as soon as possible. So I'll probably stay in bed for a while, its cheaper than heating the living room all day. I've got an interesting book, The Little book by Selden Edwards, about time travel and fin-de-siècle Vienna, in which the protagonist meets Freud, Mark Twain and the child Hitler, plus his own father, grandfather and grandmother, but there's a few more twists in the tale as well. Plus I might start looking at all my art books again, and continuing to sort and chuck extraneous stuff, in the quest for a decluttered house.  Wish it was so easy to declutter the mind; I really think we should come with an off switch at the backs of our necks.

2 comments:

  1. Snow is scary in real life when. You have to drive, work, shop etc.
    Peope get romantic about winter wonderland stuff but I remember
    Parts of England grinding to a halt when we were there a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely see snow so I do see the romance of it. Just the same I can remember being snowed in when we lived in Central West NSW and just how inconvenient it was. Beautiful - but cold and inconvenient. Love that Emma is a practical cat...

    ReplyDelete