Friday, June 14, 2013

The Poke

 
 
Here's a nice picture that I took some time ago. It's Anemone nemorosa in the rock gardens at the Christchurch Botanic Gardens. The light was perfect that afternoon, just slanting through the flowers, not possible to take a bad shot.
  I've been laughing my head off tonight over some things on a site called The Poke (subtitled "time well wasted"). A Facebook friend posted "25 things we miss about Scotland" - who said the Scots were dour? Very, very funny, if you have the same sense of humour as moi. I prefer to cry laughing than just to cry, so this is wonderful medicine for what ails you. It does help if you have a couple+ glasses of wine. I have a nice Waipara Springs Pinot noir at the moment, not expensive but pleasant, and I have paired it (as they say) with a supermarket pizza, properly crisped on a pizza plate, and a homemade green salad. I am beginning to see why people get so carried away with food. I've never been a real dilettante, but am starting to care more about it now there are so few other pleasures available to me. I've come to enjoy my own cooking and take more time over getting it right; it's such a waste of time to cook something that is bland or substandard. Home cooking is far better than restaurant cooking, at least the sort of restaurants that I can afford to go to, so why not make the effort and really enjoy it. The next step will be to invite persons to dinner, but that is a bit of a challenge for me, because it has a social aspect too. And I can bet that the first time I invite someone will be the time I cook a truly awful meal.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much. I wandered over to The Poke - and hooted (yes pun intended) with mirth.
    Love the anenome and snap on the cooking front.

    ReplyDelete