Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Marmalade

Today I made marmalade with feijoas and limes. Thought these would go together well and they do ..Delicious! I cheated and used jam-setting sugar, as I've done marmalade before and ended up with syrup, still useful for putting over steamed puddings, but not much use for spreading on bread. Also included the peel from my one and only grapefruit, which I ate for breakfast.
    Funny though. I had a daft thought of using the meat grinder to grind the peel up. It seemed like a good idea. Well, the grinder got stopped up, and juice trickled out through the back of the grinder to pool on the stove, so I had to dismantle the grinder and clear it out. I accidently tipped the bowl with the ground fruit onto the floor, so what had started as a good idea left the kitchen in a total mess, with globs of ground fruit all over the place looking horribly like vomit! Of course, right at that moment, my hands covered in 'vomit', the door bell rings. It's two young guys wanting to pour dyed water down my gulley trap to check the sewers. (We're getting more infrastructural work done). "This stuff on my hands is not what you think it is" I say as I open the door. "Um, okay, but I've come to check your gulley-trap?" the bloke says. "Do you know where it is?" I didn't know I had one, I say. Dohh... Turns out it's somewhere by the kitchen sink outlet. He had a bucket with yellow dyed water in it that looked like really strong urine. Wouldn't you think they'd use bright pink or blue?
  In spite of the drama, the marmalade turned out fine; it's set and tastes great.

No comments:

Post a Comment