Wednesday, April 24, 2013

ANZAC Day - Sergeant Henry Nicholas

The first Cantabrian to receive the Victoria Cross. This statue stands on the banks of the Avon River, looking toward the Bridge of Remembrance.

ANZAC Day – 25 April – commemorates New Zealanders killed in war and honours all returned service personnel. It is the anniversary of the landing of Allied forces at Gallipoli in 1915 during World War I, and became an official holiday in 1921.

You will be surprised to hear that we are still occupying practically the same ground as at the start of the job here. The only advance we have made has been with the pick and shovel, with which handy tools we have straightened our line and strengthened our position…
I have not stopped any lead yet, but I had a narrow shave the other night. The Turks tried to blow up one of our advanced trenches. I was hit with fallen earth, which must have missed my head by inches, but I got out of it with only a bruised thigh, though the man next to me had his leg broken and died the next day. I can only hope for my luck to continue.
Private Henry Williamson, an Aucklander serving with the Australians, died of wounds three days later.
From "Letters from Gallipoli: New Zealand soldiers write home" by Glyn Harper.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment