Monday, April 8, 2013

Road works

Christchurch is bedevilled by reconstructive road works at the moment. Practically every street has something being done to it to repair the ravages of the quakes. The problem is, it doesn't seem to be co-ordinated across the several different firms doing the work. Just going to the supermarket this afternoon had me driving around in ever-decreasing circles, dodging road-closures and road-cones and pumping, digging and dumping zones. It's a lot easier to stay home than venture out, but I've got to go to work tomorrow so no choice; I have to go a different route, since the street I normally take coming home is closed in three places. I've had a nightmare where I can't get back home at all, all the streets around my house are closed. And it's snowing. And getting dark.And I'm out in Sockburn (about five miles away) because the detours have railroaded me out there. Classic anxiety dream.
  And there's still subconscious trauma. A truck started up in the next street, with a low thrumming, and I realised I was bracing myself for the jolt of a quake to come. It's become second nature now, and will probably take many years to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment