Saturday, April 20, 2013

Statistics

Managed to get the lovely people at Broken Controllers (see previous post Russian and other perverts) to take my site off their referrals. The traffic stats for Russian hits on my site have gone back to normal. This is good.
  The weather has turned to bad now, our first real dose of nasty stuff for the autumn/winter season. Consequent lowering of mood and morale across the city. There was a grand re-opening for one of our more picturesque streets today, New Regent Street, a sort of Hollywood/Spanish/Thirties streetscape that has been restored from the earthquake damage. They were going to have Spanish dancing and music, but the cruddy Christchurch weather, grey and wet, ruled it out.
  I've lived in Christchurch all my life, but I can't say that I love it here. It's just the place I live and where I've always lived. I think most cities are fairly crap to live in anyway, unless you are very wealthy and don't have to fight your way on to the Underground/Metro/Subway everyday. People go on about the social and cultural advantages of living in a city, but again, these are only accessible if you have a fair amount of discretionary spending and the time and energy to seek these experiences. There are parts of Christchurch that I love, but I can't say that as a city it is anything remarkable. And those who hoped that something remarkable, architecturally, socially, or ecologically speaking, might happen here after the quakes, are going to be disappointed, I think. The same old firms, the same powerful people, the same old money. And the same old arguments, on and on and on....

 
Spanish Hollywood - New Regent Street - one of the few architectural gems left in Christchurch

No comments:

Post a Comment